Having fun in the kitchen
Some of my greatest meals have come from improvising. You know the scene: it’s the top of the week and your fridge is operating low on components but you’re craving something scrumptious and satisfying. You might choose considered one of two approaches to this. Stress-out and make something quick, mindlessly and that finally gained’t taste excellent OR determine to chill out, take the meditative strategy and put a bit of love into it.
That was the scene when this salad got here to be. I had my major protein found out (salmon) but was desperate for a aspect that may fulfill my tastebuds and my appetite for health. I opted for strategy quantity two.
So I began pulling elements and laying them out on the counter to build a balanced meal. Time for some fun.
“I’ve got my protein” I assumed “Now on to the rest.”
Veggies? Baby arugula and scallions have been all I had left.
High-fibre starches? I had quinoa and a small squash in the pantry and acquired these cooking, still not understanding what would come of them.
Healthy fats? Pecans, all the time in my freezer and good on principally something.
Flavour-boosters? There was leftover goat cheese within the fridge.
Perfect. Now to tug all of it collectively? A pleasant hearty salad. No, a pleasant hearty salad board.
Bored of salad? Try a salad board!
I took one in every of my many decorative chopping boards (I acquire them!) and decided to put it to make use of. I scattered the greens and scallions over the board, dolloped the squash-loaded quinoa on prime, sprinkled the crunchy toasted pecans, dolloped the tangy and creamy goat cheese and drizzled a candy yet acidic dressing over all of it. I took a chew and was utterly glad.
Now in fact, the board isn’t mandatory. But laying the elements on a board slightly than ia bowl lets you drizzle the vinaigrette over your complete salad without overdressing and mushing the entire thing up. Plus, it appears lovely too. Try it!
Quinoa, squash and goat cheese salad board
A simple, delicious salad with make-ahead elements
- 1 small buttercup squash, sliced in half, seeds eliminated
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- 6 cups baby arugula
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- three tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- three tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1/four teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 levels. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Rub a little bit of olive oil on cut-side of the squash and lay it face down on the tray. Bake 35-40 minutes. Once baked, let it prepare dinner slightly, and peel off the skin. Chop the flesh roughly into cubes and put aside.
- Bring 1 cup of quinoa and 2 cups of water to a boil. Add a pinch of salt and scale back to a simmer. 2. Let prepare dinner uncovered for 12 minutes. Cover the quinoa, take away from the warmth and let it sit untouched for 5 minutes.
- Combine all of the elements “for the dressing” and reserve.
- Add the chopped squash to the quinoa and combine to combine.
- To make the salad, start by laying the arugula and scallions on a big chopping board. Top with the quinoa-squash combination, goat cheese and toasted pecans. Drizzle with the maple dressing and take pleasure in.
- Meal prep tip! The squash and quinoa combine may be made forward of time and even enjoyed by itself as a easy aspect.
Motive Nutrition http://motivenutrition.com/
I need to hear from you!
What is your strategy in the kitchen? Frantic and stressed-out or calm and meditative? Have you ever made a salad board?