Tuesday, February 27, 2018
By: Sheridan Jonas, Contributing Blogger
When you’re in a time crunch, it’s straightforward to show to packaged frozen meals. However, combined messages on the healthiness of frozen meals may be confusing. Are they healthy or full of junk?
- Quick and moveable: Time could be a main obstacle to getting ready healthy meals. Instead of turning to quick food or take-out, some frozen meals could be a healthy various which might be ready in minutes. Look for options that include plenty of veggies and lean protein.
- Variety: Frozen meals can be found in a wide variety of cuisines and flavors, making it onerous to get bored from eating the identical factor. Additionally, many manufacturers try to boost the healthiness of their meals by providing low-calorie and heart healthy options. Some manufacturers are additionally offering organic meals.
- Portion sizes: One of the most effective qualities of frozen meals is that they’re pre-portioned. This means no measuring or stressing over serving sizes. Just keep in mind to take a look at the food label, which can present a transparent image of the nutrients of the meal.
- High sodium content material: Many frozen meals are excessive in sodium. Fortunately, many manufacturers are providing lower-sodium choices. Look for the “low-sodium” or “reduced-sodium” labels on the packaging, and select frozen meals with lower than 600 mg per serving1. Remember, sodium suggestions recommend consuming lower than 2,300 mg per day.
- Preservatives: In order to preserve freshness, frozen meals might include preservatives to be able to prolong shelf-life, preserve high quality, and reduce microbial progress. Some corporations include greater than others, so examine corporations to see which greatest works for you.
- Expensive: A frozen meal can vary from $1- $6. Organic brands are typically costlier, but you possibly can still find some low-sodium and calorie options at lower cost factors.
The Bottom Line
Frozen meals might be wholesome, quick, and convenient choice (though nothing can compete with good previous wholesome residence cooking!). You can now find quite a lot of frozen meals which are decrease in calories and sodium and price lower than quick food or take-out meals. A great rule of thumb when choosing frozen meals is to search for ones with lower than 500 energy and 600 mg of sodium.
Filed underneath Healthy Eating, Hot Topics, Tips | Comments: 0