Toasty and warm, melty vegan cheese in each chew, this Spinach Stuffed “Popeye” Grilled Cheese is simply what you’re craving in a decadent but veggie-accented melty-cheese sandwich.
Spinach Stuffed. Melty Cheese. Buttery crispy edges of sourdough-rye bread, melty cheddar cheese, a hint of garlic, a slice of juicy yellow tomato and a great deal of cheezy spinach – this skillet sandwich is full of flavor! Spinach is an ideal strategy to load up a grilled cheese with something other than simply .. nicely… cheese.. Get the recipe…
Plus, a number of of my favorite inexperienced things for St.Patricks Day…
Start with some vegan butter-slathered bread..
I used So Delicious Cheddar Shreds and Daiya Provolone in this sandwich, but there are soooo many vegan cheeses I really like. Browse my vegan cheese information for more information.
Tomato. My favorite thing about this sandwich is definitely the yellow tomato! I added it at the final minute, simply as an afterthought. But it turned out to be such a sensible add for this sandwich as a result of the yellow tomato appears just like the cheddar cheese and truly made every chew feel far more tacky. So principally, including an orange, yellow and even pink tomato can really increase the cheesiness of your grilled cheese sandwich. Give it a attempt to see in case you agree.
Other greens you can use: kale, arugula, chard… You might even use warmed sauerkraut or thinly sliced mushrooms.
I used a rye-sourdough from Whole Foods bakery. Anything hearty sufficient to hold up in a skilled will work. Something with some body, hearty grain density or crusty edges and chewiness is sweet.
The trace of garlic is a very nice touch! Thinly slice it and let it sizzle in the scorching oil for a number of seconds before adding the greens.
Wait, why did you employ frozen spinach?? I am a huge fan of using frozen veggies when you’ll be able to. They are tremendous straightforward to retailer and may provide the pleasure of all the time having LOADS of veggies available. I also love that frozen veggies truly hold all that freshly-picked vitamins locked in! I like frozen spinach for this recipe because I feel the chopped spinach texture works rather well and it simply matches superbly with the creamy vegan cheese.
Yes, you can use recent spinach, chopped kale or another leafy green. The sandwich will still be epic and superb. I just like to showcase frozen veggie usage when attainable. So typically individuals say that it’s “hard” to maintain recent veggies in their fridge, in order that they end up not consuming as a lot. Well frozen veggies solves that. I all the time buy organic, however you’ll be able to select what works greatest in your price range.
These are a number of of my favourite (green) things…
..If you did not sing that last line, a la The Sound of Music, let’s simply attempt once more…
Ok, all together now.. These are a number of of my fave-or-ite (inexperienced) things… La la la la..
Shamrock Breakfast Sandwich
Raw Kale Salads
Green Tea Frap
Green Dream Smoothie Bowl
Spinach + Artichoke Dip
Guacamole + Avocado Trees
Green Sunshine Dip
Candied Pecan Avocado Spinach Salads
Spinach with Raisins
Enjoy this new fave green-stuffed factor! This Spinach-Stuffed “Popeye” Grilled Cheese Sandwich
This stuffed grilled cheese sandwich masses up spinach, vegan cheese and a juicy tomato. Crispy edges and filled with cheesy flavor!
- 2 giant slices bread (rye-sourdough used)
- 1/four cup vegan cheddar cheese shreds
- elective: white vegan cheese (like gouda or provolone)
- 2 thick slices of yellow or orange tomato, organic
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach (or use 2 cups recent spinach, chopped) – organic
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1-2 tsp vegan butter
- additional virgin olive oil for pan
- non-compulsory: purple pepper flakes for heat
- Warm up an extra giant skillet over high warmth. I exploit a cast iron skillet. Add a drizzle of olive oil simply to flippantly coat the underside of the pan.
- Thinly slice the garlic clove and add to scorching pan. Then add in the spinach. Take care to try to solely use half of the pan for the spinach – hold the other half nice and clean for the sandwich. Using a picket spoon or spatula, flip and toss the spinach until it is absolutely wilted or warmed. I like frozen spinach as a result of it is already wilted right down to measurement, recent spinach could be a bit extra tender and delicate in the pan. Sprinkle the dietary yeast on prime of the spinach then toss. When spinach is good and heat, scoop it over to the far edge of the pan.
- Rub all aspect of the bread in the vegan butter.
- Place one slice of bread down on the recent, oiled skillet. Add the vegan cheese on prime. I like to make use of the ‘ice dice technique’ to soften my cheese. This technique means I cowl the pan with a lid and drop in one small ice cube. Then flip off warmth for a minute while it really works its magic. The scorching steam from the ice will assist soften the cheese. Life lid and check out your greatest to not simply let the bread take in the water in the pan. You need it to actually prepare dinner off..
- Turn warmth back as much as medium-high and scoop the recent spinach proper onto the softened cheese. The scorching skillet spinach ought to further soften the cheese. Add the tomato. Then add the top layer of bread. Smash down the sandwich a bit, together with your spatula.
- Very rigorously flip the sandwich. Cook 1-2 minutes on this second aspect, just enough to toast the bread because the cheese must be absolutely melted by not.
- Turn off stove and switch the sandwich to a slicing board to slice and serve.
Yield: 1 sandwich
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 05 mins.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 10 minutes.
Total time: 15 minutes.
Tags: sandwich,cheese,vegan,spinach,straightforward,lunch,food,grilled cheese sandwich,entree,
Pin it for later..