This vegan BBQ Tempeh Sandwich + Easy Cole Slaw is super cravable and packed with plant-based protein from tempeh. If you need a hearty, stacked, warm-n-spicy meets cool-and-sassy sandwich, give this one a attempt!
Also, how I spent my Sunday night time dance-dance-dancin..
Toss the tempeh within the BBQ sauce..
My concept of sandwich bliss..
This cole slaw is very easy. You can use green or purple cabbage..
BBQ Tempeh all scorching and bubbly, recent from the oven.
And yeah, this sandwich pairs properly with how I spent my Sunday night time (more JT live performance pics at backside).
..loooove sporting my Bhavas boots.
Dairy-Free Cole Slaw. This vegan cole slaw could be whipped up fairly shortly. Serve it instantly for a crunchier slaw texture. Or prep it the day before, or a number of hours before serving, for more marinated taste and a softer texture to the cabbage. I looooooove this slaw a lot I’ll eat it all by itself, proper out of the bowl. You can use green or pink cabbage. The pink version is pretty superior too.
This BBQ sauce is awesome as a result of it is quick and pretty easy. It has a base of tomato and cider vinegar with accents of pepper and maple and optionally available molasses. I have a much longer do-it-yourself BBQ sauce recipe right here. I really like both recipes. The long one comes out a bit thicker and with some very layered flavors. While this sauce is just actually bold and yummy. Sassy sweet.
Pin right now’s recipe for later:
Nice wanting sammie.
This flavorful sandwich is made using tempeh, selfmade straightforward BBQ sauce and a fast cole slaw. Vegan and protein-packed.
- Vegan Cole Slaw:
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 half Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp maple or agave syrup
- 2-4 Tbsp vegan mayo
- 1/eight tsp black pepper
- pinch of salt
- BBQ Sauce:
- 2 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/Four cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp scorching sauce
- 1-2 Tbsp additional virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp blackstrap molasses (elective)
- a number of drops of liquid smoke or 1/8 tsp smoky paprika
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne (non-compulsory)
- 8oz tempeh, sliced
- bread: sourdough or any number of sliced bread or roll
- further vegan mayo and/or spicy mustard for spreading on the bread
- (Ideally, you’ll prep the tempeh and the cole slaw within the morning and prepare dinner later within the day – otherwise, prepping and cooking all of sudden is completely positive.)
- Add all the BBQ sauce components to a excessive velocity blender. Blend from low to high until clean and barely warmed.
- Pour the sauce into a medium bowl and add tempeh strips. Toss gently to coat. Cover bowl and place within the fridge for at the least 5-10 minutes, optimally, letting them soak a couple of hours (and even overnight) produces a more intense, marinated tempeh taste.
- Cole Slaw might be made at the similar time the tempeh is prepped (for a softer texture) or prepped a couple of minutes earlier than serving (for a crunchier texture).
Add all the cole slaw elements to a large mixing bowl and toss properly until all the things is coated. Cover, place in fridge until needed. (You could make cole slaw up to a day prematurely, but texture significantly softens after hours of marinating.)
- Tempeh: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lay a bit of parchment paper on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 400 levels for 15-20 minutes, or till the sides of the tempeh get bubble and darker in colour. Pull from oven, permit to chill a few minutes earlier than utilizing.
- Bread: Brush bread with a little bit of olive oil and either pan fry in a skillet for 2-4 minutes, or place in the 400 diploma oven for about 2-3 minutes. You simply want the bread to firm up a bit so it may well maintain all that heavy, saucy tempeh.
- Assembly: Slather elective vegan mayo and/or mustard onto the insides of the toasted bread. Then prime with tempeh and cole slaw – in beneficiant quantities. Close sandwich, slice and serve warm. Enjoy!
Yield: Serves 2-3
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 20 minutes.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 20 mins.
Total time: 40 minutes.
Tags: sandwich,tempeh,bbq,lunch,entree,cabbage,cole slaw,vegan,sauce,protein
Oh! And what did I do that previous weekend? I feel like this recipe pairs rather well with this live performance…
Man of the Woods Tour. I had a enjoyable Sunday night time at The Forum, right here in Los Angeles. We snagged some very last minute tickets to Justin Timberlake’s newest world tour, Man of the Woods. I have never seen Justin perform reside in a really long time, and sure I’ve been a JT fan since my teens, so this was enjoyable. He was an lively and superior as typical. Basically: He makes it look straightforward, once I know it isn’t. I imply, dancing and singing and commanding a whole packed area for a couple of hours, without pause, is pretty impressive stuff. It was a very fun night time and I’m so glad it worked out that we might go.
And yeah, I feel this BBQ sandwich with slaw feels very ‘Man of the Woods’ vibe-y. So, there ya go..
My Other BBQ Tempeh Sandwich.. If you’re a common reader, chances are you’ll acknowledge that at the moment’s recipe is just like this BBQ Tempeh + Avocado Sandwich. Though, immediately’s sandwich is totally different principally because you make the sauce from scratch and you’re pairing it very simply with an enormous stack of do-it-yourself slaw.
That recipe had more emphasis on the opposite veggie toppings, and less on the hot-from-the-oven tempeh in at present’s recipe..
…Both scrumptious! But totally different flavors for positive. Sure you can add avocado too, if you’d like. I imply, is there ever a nasty time to add avocado to a sandwich like this?
Another BBQ Tempeh recipe I really like: Vegan Ranch Kale Salad with BBQ Tempeh
Smoothie season. Snag my guide…
⚡️Snap out of your smoothie rut with my cookbook: 365 Vegan Smoothies. A new recipe each day! Plus, loads of smoothie ideas, tips, elements, nutritional information, fun smoothie names and more! Check it out on Amazon: https://t.co/ne7n46rBlR pic.twitter.com/EJkhq8yWJJ
— Kathy Patalsky (@lunchboxbunch) April 26, 2018