Today’s recipe for vegan Chocolate Cream Pie is a childhood fave of mine. I keep in mind diving into huge fluffy layers of chocolate and whipped cream and feeling like every part was just fairly darn nice on the earth…
..Cue the Saved by the Bell and Full House reruns. Cue the “Show me that smile again..” and “What ever happened to predictability..” sitcom theme music. And cue the stack of Garfield books by my mattress. Cue Saturday mornings enjoying Twister and Monopoly with my sister, whereas watching Dirty Dancing, Labyrinth or Joe vs. the Volcano for the one billionth time. Cue the sensation of by no means having heard of a cellular phone – apart from the one Zack Morris carried round in his backpack. And cue the Spice Girls, basic Madonna and Gwen Stefani (earlier than she was on every journal for having ‘aged amazingly’). I might undoubtedly go on, and on, however I won’t. I imply, all that in some chocolate + whip? Yup. Kinda. For me anyhow.
Well the good news is that I have this pie. Rich and silky chocolate filling topped with fluffy coconut whip. Dairy-free + vegan. Win and win.
Chocolate Pie. This dessert recipe is straightforward to make and bonus, it’s full of plant-based protein. And we all know that chocolate is magical.
So in case you are feeling this chocolate + whip vibe with me, hop in the kitchen and treat yourself this week..
UPDATED POST. I am excited to update this recipe submit + photographs. I first revealed this recipe again in late summer time, 2011.
Vintage intro… Last week I made my silky uncooked chocolate cream pudding. Well I made a decision to take that wholesome, breakfast-approved pudding to the subsequent degree: true decadent dessert-worthy status. One pie crust and fluffy bowl of vegan whipped topping later and my fluffy, blissful, Vegan Chocolate Cream Pie is served! Chocolate sprinkelz on prime..
And the brand new stuff. This is one in every of my favourite blog recipes just because it reminds me of my very own childhood, as I rambled about above. I didn’t even get to the late nineties when Titanic, NSYNC and Britney came into my life. Don’t fear, I won’t continue on this tangent, however promise, you possibly can all the time ask me what my fave early 00’s songs have been, what Britney’s greatest stay performances have been and precisely what number of occasions I truly saw Titanic in theaters. I will gladly oblige. Ha. Ok, back to dessert.
Chocolate pudding with fluffy whipped cream was considered one of my all time fave desserts. And once we made it into a pie? Even better! This recipe brings all those flavors and textures in a vegan, dairy-free model…
Simple vegan chocolate cream pie… Also referred to as a chocolate mousse pie, chocolate pudding pie or a chocolate silk pie.
This version takes my chocolate pudding and provides it a bit extra richness and slicing power by way of coconut oil. Coconut oil companies up within the fridge, yet nonetheless retains a buttery texture when combined with silken tofu, so it really creates the right no-bake pudding pie filling.
Fluffy Whip on Top. In my unique weblog recipe, I used a product referred to as mimiccream for the whipped cream topping. Sadly, that product has appeared to vanish from store shelves, and the internet. I even tried emailing the corporate! But no luck in fixing the mimiccream mystery. I have never seen it in years. But no worries! Coconut whip does the trick…
Homemade coconut whip on prime.
Crust? You can do a uncooked cookie or graham crust. A baked cookie or graham crust. A real baked flour pie crust. Or simply process some uncooked nuts like walnuts till crumbly and use them to line the bottom of the pie dish. Or merely use no crust in the event you don’t thoughts a messier serving state of affairs.
Easy Chocolate Sprinkles. To prime things off, I add a generous sprinkling of darkish chocolate flakes. All you do for the flakes is discover a vegan chocolate bar and slice off the sides utilizing a Chef’s knife. Boom, on the spot vegan sprinkles. You may also use chocolate flakes on ice cream or cupcakes, whatever you want.
And earlier than you dive in, in case you simply need to study more about chocolate and it is magical qualities and the place it comes from: All About Chocolate.
PS. I additionally launched my model new HHL retailer immediately! See the SHOP at prime. (On the aspect in case you are shopping in cellular). I’ve added some of my fave pantry, wellness, kitchen, pet, house/workplace and images goodies. It was a variety of fun curating this retailer and I hope it helps offer you some ideas for how one can inventory your vegan residence and life.
…and sure, cacao if undoubtedly within the pantry section!
This silky, dairy-free pie has chocolate and whipped cream layers. Fluffy, rich and straightforward to make!
- Chocolate Filling:
- 28ouncessilken tofu
- 6-8 Tbsp cacao powder
- 6 Tbsp agave syrup
- half cup virgin coconut oil, melted
- three/4 tsp pink salt
- half tsp vanilla extract
- Whipped Cream Topping:
- 1-2 batches of coconut whip
- 1 cup crushed cookies or graham crackers
- three Tbsp melted vegan butter
- Crust various: processed raw nuts
- Topping: dark chocolate bar or squares, thinly sliced into flakes
- Crust: If you need a baked cookie/graham crust, you can begin here. Preheat oven to 350 levels. Process cookies or grahams into about one cup of crumbs. This is sufficient for a assume crust. Place cookies/grahams and melted vegan butter in a small bowl and fold gently. Pour the mixture into your pie dish and press within the pan. Bake for about Eight-10 minutes, simply until toasty. If you do not feel like baking the crust, you’ll be able to just hold the crumbs uncooked and crumbly. The pie won’t slice as cleanly, but will still style superb. Allow the pie dish to cool for 5 minutes before including the chocolate filling.
- Chocolate filling: Add all the pie filling elements to a blender and blend from low to high until clean. Pour into your pie dish, over prime whatever crust you’re utilizing.
- Place the pie dish in the fridge to relax in a single day or a minimum of 4-6 hours. Overnight is greatest for a totally sliceable pie.
- Whip up your coconut whip based on the instructions. Pull your chilled pie from the fridge and spoon the whip over prime. Smooth whip.
- Add chocolate over prime. Serve immediately or place again in the fridge to permit the whip to relax and harden a bit extra. This pie will hold in the fridge for a number of days, but is greatest served the identical day that you simply make the whip – after that the whip loses its fluffiness.
Yield: 1 pie
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 30 minutes.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 10 minutes.
Total time: 40 mins.
pin it for later..
Agar Agar? In the original recipe I additionally used one thing referred to as agar agar to create a firmed, gel-like texture to the pie. I’ve chosen to omit that ingredient in the up to date recipe. The outcomes are a bit extra of a mushy, mousse-like pie. So not as agency when sliced, but still agency sufficient to slice. If you actually need that gel-like texture to your pie, you’ll be able to completely mess around with including agar agar. Here is how…
You will need to dissolve about 1-2 tsp of agar flakes right into a liquid. I might attempt utilizing 1/3 cup non-dairy milk or simply primary water. Bring the liquid to a boil, in a small sauce pot, and dissolve the flakes – stir constantly until clean. Then pour that mixture into the blender as you blend every little thing in response to my recipe. Tip: Allow the agar mixture to chill slightly before adding to the blender so that you do not ‘prepare dinner’ the tofu.
But the agar is completely non-compulsory. The new photographs I’ve added (turquoise background) are the recipe when you do not use agar. The older photographs use agar.
Some of the original pictures using the mimiccream and agar agar..
Alternative to whipped dairy dream: Whipped Coconut Cream from Coconut Milk, How-to!