My pal Tanya has a very generous rhubarb plant in her yard. Every yr, she provides me a shout to help her put the recent fruit to good use and every year, I’m completely satisfied to oblige. This time around, I instantly knew that I needed to rework her rhubarb into a easy and scrumptious summer time dessert. So off I went, bag in hand.
Berry and rhubarb crumble bars
She gave me so much to work with. I trimmed and tossed the leaves, washed and chopped the stalks and received to baking. The outcome? These berry and rhubarb crumble bars.
Each chew supplies the right stability of tartness from the rhubarb and sweetness from the luscious berries and crumble. But that’s not even one of the best part. Having tested this recipe multiple occasions, I’ve wanted to resort to the rhubarb tucked into my freezer only to understand that this recipe could be completely created from frozen fruit as nicely. This is fantastic news. Since berry and rhubarb season run so brief in our neck of the woods, I all the time like to buy recent seasonal fruit in bulk and freeze it. This allows me to take pleasure in it just a little later throughout the year and in this case, makes it potential to throw collectively a scrumptious dessert for final minute friends, or in close to future… child visits!
The recipe calls for combined berries together with the rhubarb, however you’ll be able to let yourself be inspired by what the season has to supply. You can use a easy mixture of strawberries and rhubarb if you need as properly.
These are really the right sweet chew to rejoice this particular long weekend and our lovely country’s 150th birthday. Whether you’re hanging out with buddies round a bonfire or at a household picnic ready on a firework show, whip-up a batch of those bars and I assure you gained’t regret it. Scroll down for the recipe and as regular, keep in mind to offer me a shout using #motivenutrition to showoff what you’ve made.
Berry & rhubarb crumble bars
- 2 cups combined berries of selection, recent or frozen (choose from strawberries, blueberries, raspberries)
- 2 cups rhubarb, sliced into half” pieces
- 1/three cup natural cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 half cups fast oats
- 1 cup entire spelt flour
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter or melted coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 levels Fahrenheit. Grease and line an 8×8″ pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine the berries, rhubarb, sugar, cornstarch and set aside.
- In a big bowl, place the oats, flour, chia, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and sugar and stir to combine.
- Add the melted butter and blend till the combination comes together. It ought to stick between your fingers when pinched.
- Divide the crumble combination in half.
- Pour half of the crumble into the underside of the prepared pan. Press very firmly to type one even layer.
- Pour the fruit combination on prime and spread evenly.
- Top the fruit with the remaining crumble, patting it gently to type a fair layer.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for 50-55 minutes, till golden brown.
- Let cool utterly earlier than chopping into bars. Serve warm with a dollop of yogurt.
- If utilizing frozen berries, permit to thaw at room temperature 15 minutes.
Motive Nutrition http://motivenutrition.com/