This straightforward vegan Peanut Butter Tofu over fluffy rice is the right comfort food, family-style meal. The peanut sauce is rich and sweet with a hint of warmth from garlic and curry. Plump cubes of tender tofu are loaded with plant-based protein. A sprinkle of spring onions on prime completes the centerpiece-approved dish….
This recipe is a tofu + rice spin on a recipe I made a while back, Peanut Butter Curry Chickpeas over quinoa. This dish feels a bit extra warming and comfort-food-y to me. Probably because of those smooth pillows of tofu, coated in a satiny delicious peanut butter sauce. Rice is an enormous more sticky and hearty too, compared to quinoa – which is a little more fluffy and not very sticky in any respect.
Rice & Things. If desired, you do not have to use rice! Fluffy quinoa or even one thing like buckwheat or millet or farro can be nice too – whatever grain type of base you’ll have in your cabinet. I used a stunning, aromatic jasmine rice. A short-grained brown rice would even be good and add much more fiber and vitamins. But for me, I simply love a fluffy white rice for this dish. I feel the brilliant yellow peanut sauced tofu seems so fairly towards a layer of white.
Using rice or quinoa makes this dish gluten-free.
If you need to change out the tofu for tempeh, chickpeas and even lentils, you would definitely do this as properly!
More Veggies. This dish definitely makes a stunning, merely grain+ protein dinner. But in case you are wanting to add an additional increase of veggies to this dish, right here are some things to attempt:
– roasted carrots, cauliflower or zucchini
– a light-weight leafy greens salad, with whatever dressing you favor
– steamed broccoli
– steamed peas over prime
– spinach folded into the saute pan
Other add-ins.. Some other fun components to play with could possibly be:
– Adding saffron to your rice and even to the peanut sauce.
– Adding golden raisins to the onions in the course of the saute.
– Adding a sprinkle of chopped parsley or cilantro over prime.
There are so many ways to serve this primary, scrumptious dish of peanut butter tofu. I hope you may give it a attempt to let me understand how YOU make it a meal!
On Valentine’s Day, I posted this on Instagram, and I feel it’s value repeating right here..
“When I look again on my life, it isn’t the right reminiscences that made my relationships so special. It was the occasions “we” did one thing loopy, adventurous, weird, foolish, scary, or challenging. Or even occasions once we have been both making errors and learning from them together. Real life with bumps within the street and bruises on your shins. When you’re keen on somebody, challenges and loopy adventures don’t seem so scary or odd because you both discover a strategy to make anything occur. Love does that. Together, you possibly can determine anything out. (And come out smiling. Or at the very least feeling such as you’ve grown. Or perhaps just find yourself laughing your ass off in the absolute best approach.” – full caption on my Instagram profile – would like to see you over there!..
This tremendous flavorful peanut butter tofu served over rice makes a scrumptious and protein-rich vegan meal.
- Peanut Butter Sauce:
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- half – 1 cup scorching water
- 2 Tbsp lime or lemon juice
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/eight tsp salt or to taste
- 1/eight tsp pepper
- pinch of cayenne (1/8 tsp or less)
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp additional virgin olive oil
- pinch of salt
- 1 container additional firm tofu, 12oz, diced into 40 cubes
- 1 Tbsp additional virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped, any variety
- 3 spring onions, chopped (spiky roots discarded)
- Rice: Add the rice, water, pinch of salt and oil to a large soup pot. Bring to a boil, then cowl with a lid and scale back heat to low. Simmer on low for 20 minutes. Turn the warmth off and let the rice sit for a number of further minutes, then uncover lid and fluff rice with a fork. Place lid back on and set pot apart.
- While the rice is cooking, you’ll be able to whip up your peanut sauce. Place all of the peanut sauce elements in a blender and blend on low until silky clean. For the water: begin by including half cup of scorching water, then add extra, a tablespoon at a time till your required thickness is reached. You want the sauce to be opaque and thick, sure watery sufficient to drizzle over prime the tofu. Note: The sauce will thicken up as it heats within the pan!
- Tofu prep: Before cubing the tofu, you need to use a clean dish towel and gently squeeze out as much extra water from the tofu as potential – with out smashing the shape of the tofu. Then cube the tofu (40 cubes in a 5 x four cube throughout the top, two layers of cubes) and once more gently press out any extra liquid. Tip: IF desired, you should use a tofu press. But I often do not want it. The firmer your tofu, the better it’s to squeeze out extra liquid and dry issues up. Drier tofu sautes higher in the pan.
- Skillet: After your sauce and rice are sone, you can start your skillet work. Warm a large skillet over medium heat. Add in a drizzle of oil and the chopped onions. Saute for 2-Three minutes till the sides start to brown a bit. Then add in the tofu and toss around a bit. Use a spatula to flip the tofu cubes. Let the tofu sit simply lengthy enough in one spot on the pan in order that it browns, but not too lengthy that it sticks and peels away in the pan. Using sufficient oil additionally prevents the tofu from sticking to your pan.
- When your tofu and onions have a number of properly mild browned edges, you possibly can flip the warmth to low and pour in about half to three/4 of your peanut sauce. Gently toss the tofu in it and let it sizzle over low for a few minute or two. Then flip off the warmth and put aside. The heat pan should continue to softly prepare dinner all the things together for a few minutes, even off the warmth. Tip: IF you want your tofu extra thickly dressed, you’ll be able to add all the sauce in directly. Leftover sauce could be warmed separately and added at your leisure.
- Plating the dish: Pile your rice in an enormous bowl, then add the tofu over prime. Next, sprinkle the chopped spring onions over prime. Serve heat!
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 07 minutes.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 30 mins.
Total time: 37 minutes.
Tags: tofu,peanut butter,dinner,entree,spring onions,rice,vegan,vegetarian,curry,straightforward,protein,
Pin it for later!…