As a foodie and dietitian, I might hardly wait to jump into the kitchen and begin cooking for my daughter Camila. There’s little question about it, introduction to solids is an thrilling time for both you and child. That stated, if carried out without planning, cooking and feeding an infant may be time-consuming and depart you with solely moments to take pleasure in a much-needed nourishing meal yourself. Which is why I’m so excited to share in the present day’s meal prep video with all of you.
I will dive into the subject of introduction to solids in an upcoming submit, however in the present day I’d wish to share the straightforward meal prep technique I’ve used to organize easy, healthy meals for both child and me.
My strategy to meal prep hasn’t drastically modified with baby within the picture. I still like to organize batches of entire foods and use them in numerous mixtures throughout the week, somewhat than consuming the identical meal multiple days in a row. The most important difference now’s that I plan my menu round baby’s needs, adapting the meals I prep to satisfy her feeding stage. Say for example I put together sweet potatoes; I’ll roast off a batch large enough for the entire family and then divide it in two: baby’s portion, that I’ll mash/retailer/freeze, and my portion, that I will either cube to use in salads, mash with garlic oil or retailer to use in different numerous ways throughout the week.
There is not any right or fallacious strategy to cooking in your child, you simply want to seek out what works for you. I prefer it this technique as a result of it allows me to maximise my time in the kitchen getting ready for the entire household directly, all the while introducing child to the meals and flavours of our cooking as early on as attainable, protecting in mind the objective of having us eat the same family meals by her first birthday. Here’s how I do it:
1. Write your menu plan:
The first thing to do is start by planning your menu for the week.
- Cinnamon-stewed apples with almond butter
- Yogurt with mango puree and coconut shavings
2. Derive a baby plan
Using the menu you’ve just created, derive a prep listing for child that matches his/her age and feeding stage. It ought to embrace foods he’s been introduced to, whereas making area for brand spanking new meals to attempt.
- Quinoa + apple + cinnamon + chia seeds
- Zucchini + pea soup
- Salmon + Sweet potato mash
- Mango + Banana puree
three. Meal prep
It’s time to prep! The quantity of food you prep is completely up to you. For example, I wish to prepare dinner fish and grilled meat recent on the same day, so I don’t prep these parts ahead of time. You most definitely can for those who select to. Start with the fundamentals, and work your means from there.
Once you could have prepared your foods, reserve a portion which you could adapt to baby’s feeding stage (puree, mash or slice into finger-foods) and modify your portion to suit your tastebuds (adding salt and spice).
MEAL PREP STEPS
Step 1: Gather components and gear
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Gather your elements: Sweet potato, apples, mango, zucchini, peas, mint, salmon, quinoa.
- Gather your gear: 3 saucepans, 1 baking tray, 1 blender, 1 child food freezer tray (I exploit this Siltray from Kushies), numerous sized storage containers.
Step 2: Roasted candy potatoes
- Wrap candy potato in aluminum foil, shiny aspect dealing with inwards. Wrap them tightly, so no air escapes. Place the potatoes on a baking tray and prepare dinner 50 minutes until tender. Cool 10 minutes
Step 3: Stewed apples
- Peel four Gala apples and cube into bite-sized items
- Add to saucepan with 3/Four cup water and 1 teaspoon floor cinnamon.
- Cook until tender, about 5-10 minutes.
- Divide stewed apples in half.
For you: Enjoy stewed apples over oatmeal or with almond butter as a snack.
For child: Serve stewed apple chunks as finger meals or mash/mix into a puree based on child’s feeding stage.
Step Four: Zucchini and pea puree
- Dice 2 medium zucchini.
- Add to saucepan along with 2 1/2 cups frozen peas. Cover with water and convey to a boil. Simmer till tender, 7-10 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons recent mint.
For baby: Blend till desired consistency. Store in the fridge up to three days or within the freezer up to 1 month.
For you: Season to style with sea salt and take pleasure in as soup for the week.
Step 5: Quinoa
- In a medium saucepan, add 1 cup of rinsed quinoa and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cowl and prepare dinner 12-15 minutes, till liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from the warmth, let stand 5 minutes and fluff with a fork.
For you: Enjoy all through the week. Try the MN shrimp and quinoa puttanesca bowl
For child: Combine quinoa with apple sauce, cinnamon and chia seeds for a delicious breakfast combination.
Step 6: Poached salmon
- Wash and dry 1 pound skinless, de-boned wild salmon or trout.
- Add three/Four-inch water to a deep skillet. Add 1 sliced lemon, 1 sliced onion, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon entire peppercorns. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a mild simmer and add the salmon. Cover and prepare dinner till the salmon is opaque, about 7-10 minutes. Remove from liquid.
For you: Enjoy chilly over salad with tahini dressing or use to make the MN salmon muffins.
For child: Combine half cup flaked salmon with 1/2 cup roasted sweet potato for a delicious mash. Store within the refrigerator up to 3 days or within the freezer as much as 1 month.
Step 7: Tropical puree
- Peel and cube two Ataulfo mangoes.
- Add to a blender and mix until clean.
- Reserve half of the puree for you.
- Add half a banana and mix until clean.
For you: Enjoy recent mango puree over yogurt, with coconut shavings as a delicious snack.
For baby: Store within the fridge as much as 2 days or in the freezer up to 1 month.
I WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!
Don’t overlook to ping me @MotiveNutrition and use #MotiveMealPrep throughout your subsequent household prep session so I can see what you’re as much as. Tell me: do you could have a tried-and-true household prep routine? What are your musts for the week? Share within the comments under!