10 Mar 5 Reasons to Love Idaho Potatoes
This submit was sponsored by The Idaho Potato Commission.
Although spuds get a nasty repute, they’re really dietary all-stars! Idaho potatoes with the “Grown In Idaho” seal let you understand that you simply’re getting prime quality potatoes crammed with every kind of advantages. Here are 5 the reason why you need to present some love to these deliciously wholesome potatoes.
1. Always in season
Idaho’s rising season of heat days and funky evening together with amply mountain-fed irrigation and wealthy volcanic soil give Idaho potatoes their distinctive style, texture, and reliable efficiency. As such, they are often discovered at your native market all year long. When buying Idaho potatoes, all the time search for the “Grown In Idaho” seal.
2. Packed with vitamin, particularly potassium
One Idaho potato offers 110 energy, 26 grams of carbohydrates, 1 gram of sugar, 2 grams of fiber, and three grams of protein. They’re additionally freed from fats and ldl cholesterol. Idaho potatoes are additionally a superb supply of potassium, offering 18-percent of the beneficial each day quantity. Potatoes are literally amongst one of many high sources of potassium offering extra per serving than every other vegetable or fruit, together with bananas, oranges, or mushrooms.
Spuds additionally include 45-percent of the each day beneficial quantity of the antioxidant vitamin C. Data from the Continuing Survey of Food Intakes by Individuals signifies that potatoes rank within the high 5 of dietary sources of vitamin C for Americans. Idaho potatoes additionally include smaller quantities of quite a few nutritional vitamins and minerals together with thiamin, niacin, folate, vitamin B6, iron, phosphorus, and magnesium.
3. Heart Healthy
Research means that diets wealthy in potassium and low in sodium could scale back the danger of hypertension and stroke and assist decrease blood strain (Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee, 2010). Idaho potatoes meet each these standards.
Further, Idaho potatoes are licensed by the American Heart Association (AHA) which suggests they meet the AHA’s standards for meals low in saturated fats and ldl cholesterol and may carry the well-recognized heart-check mark.
4. Fun and Healthy Baked Potato Toppers
Everyone has their very own taste when it comes to topping baked potatoes. The Idaho Potato Commission not too long ago launched their Build-A-Baker app to present you what number of energy are in your favourite toppings. You can high your baked potato with nutrient-rich components to complement your already nutritious baked potato.
From ratatouille to potato salad to burgers, Idaho potatoes are extra versatile than you may think about. The Idaho Potato Commission was variety sufficient to share their recipe for Salmon Hashburgers.
Yield: 4 servings
5-ounce can pink salmon, drained, or 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked recent salmon
2 egg whites
1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1/3 cup)
1/2 cup salt-free breadcrumbs
4 teaspoons honey mustard, divided
1/4 cup mild mayonnaise
4 cups frozen Idaho® potato hash browns, thawed
4 lettuce leaves
4 thick tomato slices
1/2 avocado, peeled and reduce into 8 slices
1. Preheat the oven to 400° F. Spray a big baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. In a small bowl, mix the salmon, egg whites, onion, breadcrumbs, and 1 tablespoon of the mustard. In one other small bowl, mix the remaining mustard with the mayonnaise and put aside. Press one-quarter of the salmon combination right into a 1/2-cup measuring cup, and gently take away it to retain the form, forming it right into a patty. Place it on a baking sheet and repeat with the remaining salmon.
3. Squeeze any extra water from the hash browns. Press one-quarter of the hash browns right into a 1/2-cup measuring cup, and gently take away it to retain the form, forming it right into a patty. Place it on the baking sheet and repeat with the remaining hash browns to kind the “buns”.
4. Spray the patties and “buns” with cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the salmon patties and preserve heat; go away the “buns” within the oven.
5. Increase the temperature to 450° F and cook dinner the “buns” for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, till flippantly browned.
6. Place a salmon patty, on every of 4 plates. Top with equal quantities of the mayonnaise combination, a lettuce leaf, tomato slice, 2 avocado slices and high with “bun”.
*Cook’s Tip: Salt-free breadcrumbs could also be bought at well being meals shops
Nutrition info (per serving): Calories: 373; Sugar: 3 g; Sodium: 598 mg; Fat: 2 g; Saturated Fat: 2 g; Carbs: 47 g; Fiber: 6 g; Protein: 29 g; Cholesterol: 71 mg